Sunday, February 12, 2012

Rooting For The Home Team...

Now that the big kahuna of football games is over it seems that folks are in need of something to root for. There are lots of things here on the farm that I am rooting for. Hopefully by sharing them I can get a cheerleading group together to make things work in my favor. Although I cannot condone a wager of any kind, some of these things have pretty good odds, if I do say so myself. Here is the list (in no particular order):

1. The battery in the car. That battery is the one that came with the (new) car seven years ago. I know that it is on borrowed time, but when something makes it this long it becomes a point of pride. It would probably save some headache in the future if I would just buy a new one, but then I might miss the title of World’s Longest Lasting Car Battery!

2. The burning stump in the front yard. This is the one that I lit over a week ago. It is still burning! There is a cavernous hole in the yard where it used to be, and it just keeps on a burning. I wonder how long that thing can burn? Eventually it will start smoking in China and they will wonder what’s up.  I might need to build a roof over it tonight so the snow doesn't put it out.  Don't think I wouldn't.

3. The vacuum cleaner. This front porch is a disaster. Maxine has trashed it beyond belief. There are little kitty hairs everywhere and she has spread dirt from each plant all over the floor. It’s hard to fathom that one little kitty can make such a huge mess. I’m grossed out. I can see how those animal hoarders have such a gross house. It also seems like they aren’t the most clean people to begin with. There’s something about taking in 452 feral cats that makes me think that Pine Sol is not your first priority.

4. Chicks/eggs. I haven’t heard whether the folks that took eggs have candled them yet, but I am dying to know how my eggs are turning out. I don’t know what the percentage usually runs, but I am looking for lots of chickens to eat. If none of those things hatch I am going to be really hacked. I’ll probably just order some to butcher, as I just got the spring catalog from the hatchery anyway. Then I will go out to the chicken house and give those hens (and roosters) the what for. They have very few jobs, after all. Don’t mess this one up!

5. Snow. I really want a nice snow this year. I can’t believe that we haven’t had even a bit. I hate those years when I don’t have the chance to stay home and watch the snow fall. Besides the fact that I want something to watch and need a day off, I really hope we get something to reduce the number of bugs for spring. We’re going to be in trouble if we don’t get these things killed off!  Have you seen that new show Infested?  That's where we will all be.

6. Spring. Does that seem counter-productive? Even though I want some snow, I am really pulling for spring. I have so many things that I want to do outside. I miss they days of working in the yard and loosing track of time. I have such grand plans for the garden. Those aren’t going to come to fruition if we don’t get the ball rolling. I envision cantaloupe and watermelons galore. Come on mother nature!

7. New trees. I am looking forward to planting the new variety of trees we found. Royal Empress trees grow between 10 and 15 feel per year, bloom like a tulip, and have leaves that measure in the feet (across). I am so excited to see how they change the place. I think I have the spots planned for the dozen we are going to order. I sure hope that we have enough room for the dozen fruit trees I am ordering, too. This place is going to turn into a park!  That will help keep the lawn from burning so bad out near the silo.  It should also give Other something to drive around with the mower.  He sounds super stoked about it.

8. The makeshift garage sauna. Yesterday the wood stove in the garage got it up to 96 degrees in there. That’s pretty impressive. The cats were laying around like it was summer. Actually, most days in the summer it is cooler than that. I like seeing how hot I can get it. It makes going out to see the kitties a nice warm adventure.  They keep coming down from the loft to get a drink.  Wood fires sure are a dry heat.

9. Taxes. I sent in my taxes a couple of weeks ago. I want that money! I have plans for it. It seems like I have given the government a loan - I am calling that sucker due! I guess I should set some aside for a new battery for the car. At least there will be enough left for the trees. I think.  How come there are always so many plans for such a small amount of cash.  Oh well.

10. Egg production. This is different than the hatching ratio, which still stresses me out. I’m talking about how many eggs the chickens produce a day. It seems like we rarely get over the dozen hump. Most days there are 11. Why we can’t get just one more is beyond me. It would make things so much easier. I also really want them to dump their eggs and hurry out to the yard. I sort of feel guilty rooting around under the hen for the eggs. I feel like I am stealing her only reason for living. They also get really hacked and start pecking when you do that. Not a big problem when you have gloves on, but it won’t be glove season for long. Then we’ll have to be having a talk about this pecking business.  Also, I know that sometimes nature calls when you don't expect it - believe me I do.  However, when you know that you lay an egg a day at about 9 am, be prepared.  DON'T just lay it in the middle of the floor.  On occasion I forget to watch where I am walking and scramble an egg with my boot.  That's a waste.  Then I only get 10, for Heaven's sake.

There you have it. The things that are anticipated here on the farm. These aren’t really the usual things that folks are rooting for, but they seem pretty important out here right now.

It appears that the vacuum isn’t going to run itself around here, so I best get cracking.

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you on all of the above. The teacher I sold hatching eggs to candled a few and was pretty sure about one embryo, but she hasn't done the others yet. NAIL BITE TIME! My laying ratio is going up, and I'm getting 2 separate batches of chicks this year. I still want Dragon trees, but found out what they can do to a water line, plus putting up big knobbly roots that would SO not be mower friendly. As to slaughtering--PM me on FB and I'll give you my number. I found a guy who used to have a mobile processing unit and might be interested in getting another one started. MUCH easier, since I want to raise some broilers too.

    ReplyDelete