Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Family Tree

Spring is here and there are chicks on the dryer.  I brought home a few that were the oldest and put them in a box on the dryer tonight.  There will be others, but there appears to be a lot of losses.  Apparently one of the experiment partners wasn't so good about checking incubator conditions.  All of the eggs developed, but they aren't hatching.  Sooooo, we're only working with the hatchlings from a little under two dozen.  The numbers still appear to be pretty good. 

I stopped at the farm store on my way home and they will have a shipment of chicks in the next day or so.  I think I will buy some to throw in with these and round out my butchering pen.  I will let you know the progress on those.  But in the meantime, here are the hopeful parents:
And here are the little mutts.  I had forgotten just how tiny day old chicks are and just how darn cute they are.  The one on the right is named McNugget.  Oh wait, they all are...


Have a peep of a day!

TJR

No comments:

Post a Comment