Sunday, January 29, 2012

Spring Cleaning

Today was a good day for cleaning on the farm. We aren’t setting any records so I know that there has to have been a warmer January in years past, but I sure can’t remember it. I did some measuring for the new chicken coop(s) and aired up the tires on the manure spreader while I waited for it to warm up today. It didn’t take long and I was able to drag out the hose and wash the pickup. I don’t often get that chance in the middle of winter - it was in serious need. It got me thinking about the cleaning process for all of the animals here.

Even where animals are concerned, there are obvious differences between boys and girls. Out in the chicken coop the girls spend lots of time preening and looking in the mirror. That’s not to say that the roosters are a matted up hot mess, but you just don’t see them taking the time. Chickens also LOVE to take dust baths - I have never seen the roosters take one of those either. A dust bath is suppose to help control the fleas and keep their feathers in order, but to the outsider it just looks like some random flapping in a hole hollowed out by the hen. It might also pass for a seizure. Each hen only gets a set amount of time before they are kicked out by a sister who needs the shower. It reminds me of a family getting ready in the morning. There’s always someone pounding on the door needing to use the bathroom. If the hen isn’t willing to turn over the facilities she will get stepped on in short order as the next occupant takes over her space. You and I have a defined place to bathe, but for an animal with gobs and gobs of room it just doesn’t make sense. What makes that particular spot so good? It doesn’t necessarily have to be free of poop, I’ll tell you that.

The cats are no different. The toms do their best to clean themselves, but they certainly aren’t going to sit and lick if there are better things to be done. When we first moved here we were shocked at the mats and stickers in Patty’s fur. He clearly wasn’t worried about what he looked like. Someone needed to tell him that it is better to look good than to feel good. After a little brushing and lots of petting he is as soft and fluffy as any other kitty, but it’s from no doing of his own. Right now he’s walking around with a few “passengers” stuck to his butt. Hey, if he’s fine with the dingleberries so am I. I don’t think Cat Fancy is planning on using him as a centerfold anyway. The paper they print on isn’t that big.

The female cats spend approximately 45 hours a day cleaning. I’m not kidding. Of course, when they are done they go roll in the dirt just like the chickens. Color me shocked. They always choose the same spot to do it, too. They either have to be under the tree in the front yard or in the flower bed right by the walk. They are going to be sadly disappointed when that spot gets filled with mulch it the spring. I hope it doesn’t make them cry uncontrollably.

I think it’s time to get some animals that prefer to be dirty. Hogs do a pretty good job of covering themselves in mud each day. In the end, that bacon doesn’t taste the least bit gritty. I guess that goes to show you that it is what’s on the inside that counts, huh? Well, that and some hickory wood and seasonings.

Things are about to really pick up around here. I need to get those chicken coops built and put up a cross fence in the hog pen. It’s hard to believe that when I kept saying I would get hogs in March I meant a month from now. The winter is a time to relax a little around here, and it appears that I forgot to do that. I will just keep adding to my “not now but very soon” list and hope the days get long enough to do it all in a big hurry. I guess I could have done some of them today, but the cleaning process can’t wait.

I better go. It appears that the patch of dirt by the walk is free and I have to get ready to go to bed.

TJR

1 comment: