Saturday, January 14, 2012

One Flew Over The Farm

Country folks have a fixation with the past. Maybe it’s all folks, but it just seems that those people who live out where the land lays out in the front of them always want to know what used to be around them. We’re all stewards of the land, but I’m of the belief that if you live out where the world is less spoiled it is your job to keep it that way. We are always improving things, but have an eye on what used to be. We also have an eye on how much gray hair we are getting.

Other and I are busy planning for the spring. There will be dozens of trees planted here before the summer hits and lots of little projects taken care of. We’ve got a long weekend here, so I am hoping to cut down about 10 trees and haul off brush. I can’t wait to fast forward years when things are grown and a park-like oasis sits in this part of the section. Don’t we all have some vision of a “Victory Garden” worthy scene right where we live? I guess that vision is what makes things move forward each day.

Last week I happened to talk with Mr. Roper for an hour or so and asked about pictures of the farm when the big barn was still standing. I’m obsessed with what used to be around here. It just seems that with so many people living around here that have known the place forever I should be able to get more information.
It didn’t take but an hour and Mrs. Roper showed up at the door with pictures to give us. One of them shows the big barn before it fell (in the middle of the night trapping one of their goats), one of them shows the barn as a pile of rubble, and my favorite is a large framed aerial shot from 1999. It isn’t all that long ago, but MAN this place looked different. After staring at these pictures for many hours and analyzing what had changed, Other and I decided to find older aerial shots.

I contacted Vintage Aerial online and found out that the only other picture of the farm that exists is from 1978 when it was no longer a dairy. Needless to say, I ordered a large picture from them this morning. It will require a car loan, but it is worth it. We have gazed at the proof several times today and are shocked at what used to be. There are buildings there that we never knew existed, and there is no sign of the manicured yard that we now take pride in. The three season porch on the front of the house was still a real porch and the kitchen had not be added on the back of the house. There are less trees in some spots and more trees in others. There aren’t any junked cars sitting about, but it certainly does not meet my criteria of tidiness. I can tell you I wouldn’t have bought the place looking like it did. Some may call me anal, but I don’t like to have tractors, trucks, or implements sitting out for no reason. Each night everything gets put in sheds. The next time someone takes an aerial of this farm it had better be freshly mowed and neat!

Here’s the farm in 1978:
 
 
TJR

No comments:

Post a Comment