Sunday, March 18, 2012

Spring

Spring has sprung! All around the farm things are breaking out of their winter shell and making a break for the sky. There are parts of the farm that are on their third mowing already. The grass is growing so quickly that the rain that is suppose to last much of the week may cause us to need a baler to get it under control! The fertilizer that I put on the yard has kicked in.

Out in the hen house one of the layers has decided that spring is the perfect time to get broody. Every day for the last five or so she has done nothing but sit on eggs all day long. There are always two under her, although I take them every day as we sure don’t need any additional chicks around here! She gets kind of testy when I reach under her each day and steal those eggs - she usually “bites” a dozen times. I wear gloves so it isn’t painful, but I sure wish that she would get over that. It would be nice to have one of them that is sort of “pet-ish”. I cleaned out the hen house the other day and had to pick her up and take her outside. She didn’t seem to mind me picking her up, so maybe she’s getting used to me being around. She looks a little pissed in this picture I took of her today. She just knows that I am about to steal her goods again.

I also took a picture of the dwarf peach trees. I have never seen peach trees so full of blooms, and they are the most startling magenta color. I sure hope that it doesn’t freeze again, as we could have a huge crop of peaches to enjoy. I’ve got my fingers crossed. I am not a big fan of dwarf trees. I wish that they were big enough to provide lots of peaches and some wonderful shade, but I will take what I can get. Of the tons of fruit trees that I ordered about a month ago there are NO dwarf trees there. Fruit trees usually aren’t big anyway, but I want them to be as big as possible.

I also sowed lettuce this week. It seems pretty early, but when the temps are in the 80’s I just think it’s time. I guess time will tell. I have never tried lettuce before so I have no idea if it is too early, but there’s a first time for everything. I tilled the garden several times this week working in lots of manure and making it ready for everything that goes in it. I may have to drastically increase the size of it or reduce the amount of plants I plan on putting in there. I fell victim to the “one of everything” illness this year.

This week I finished the new chicken coop and moved the babies out there from the office in the machine shed. Today I put up the temporary fence outside. I haven’t let them out yet as I don’t have the wire on the top but they don’t seem to mind. The coop that I built in the corner of the lean-to is quite large, so they have plenty of space to roam and practice their flying. Today I got a large feeder and waterer that should last through butchering time. Immediately the babies took turns trying to fly to the top and sit. Since the feeder is a hanging style it doesn’t have a top - I can see some baby sitting in there all day waiting to be rescued. Probably the one who broke loose in the bathroom! Needless to say, I had to put a board across the top. That’s provided a seating area for lots of them at one time. Here’s their new digs.

Finally, I took a picture of the “infinity yard”. With the wheat field to the east so nice and lush it seems that our yard goes on and on for acres. Each time I needed a break this week I sat in a chair and looked out that direction and watched the grass and wheat waving in the breeze. You could almost see them both growing.

There are so many things I could tell you about this week but I am exhausted! We worked outside from sun up to sun down each day tearing out bushes, moving things, and getting flower beds ready for their spring makeover. It’s only 8:45 and I can see myself sneaking off to bed in less than an hour. So much for night owl.

TJR

No comments:

Post a Comment